Thursday, November 3, 2011

#3 - Music

Today it hit me over and over how grateful I am for music and the love of music that has been instilled into who I am.

I started thinking about it today while I was innocently sweeping my kitchen floor.  Katelyn and Jake were at school, Ty was napping, my house was calm and still except for me scurrying around trying to get my cleaning done in my two free hours.  This song came on my iPod (you must listen!):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHfSaPse0jY

There is something about this song that makes me teary eyed every time I listen to it.  It made me just stop in my tracks today and remember that all the dried leaves that had been tracked in, all the toys that were cluttered around, and all of the laundry that needed folded was largely in part to my three little butterflies.  Somehow it didn't seem like such a chore anymore.

When I went to pick Jake up from preschool, the song "Thank God for Kids" by the Oak Ridge Boys came on the radio.  Are you serious?  I grew up listening to that song and hadn't heard it in years!  It reminded me that my mom always has music playing throughout her house and I have followed in her footsteps.  That song is on an old Oak Ridge Boys Christmas album so I was also reminded that listening to Christmas music is right around the corner.

I spent the afternoon teaching piano lessons and thought again about what a gift the piano has been in my life.  I am grateful for the years of lessons that my parents made great sacrifices to pay for.  I even remember my mom sewing Barbie doll clothes to earn money to buy our piano.  It has been the greatest gift they have ever given me.

Tonight as I was trying to hurry Katelyn to get ready for bed, she asked me not to interrupt her concert. She was singing so loudly in the shower that I thought she was going to pass out.  I love that she still "sings like no one is listening".  I hope she never grows out of it!

Here's one of her latest performances!



1 comment:

Kurt and Michelle said...

I love the song, I have never heard it before and I loved loved it!! I hope Allie will always be as confident as she is now at three years old:)