Wednesday, September 3, 2008

All "Grewed" Up

Yesterday was Katelyn's first day of preschool and she couldn't have been more ready or more excited!

5:30 am - Katelyn wakes up to exclaim that she "grewed" during the night and is ready to go to preschool

8:30 am - Katelyn, Jake, and I had all miraculously showered AND had breakfast with little drama. (That's quite a feat considering mom isn't a morning person!)

8:35 am - Katelyn makes a phone call to her dad and also to wake up her Grandma Laurie (7:35 her time) to exclaim that she is ready to go!

8:40 am - We're out of here and actually going to be on time. (Another feat!)


Isn't she pretty with her new Ariel "packpack"?

Mom, seriously, you can leave now!

We have been preparing for this day for a long time. We have tried to teach manners, obedience, socialization, etc. She was totally prepared and thrilled to be there. She couldn't wait for me to leave and she didn't understand why some kids were crying.

One problem - we failed to prepare me! I tried to be so brave. I had no idea that walking away from her classroom would reduce me to mush. Don't get me wrong - I'm excited for the free time, it's not like I have never left her before, and I'm sure that absence makes the heart grow fonder, but I wasn't prepared for the overwhelming feelings of wanting to keep my little girl little.

I'm sure today is the first of many years of tears! I just hope the mothers who were handling it better than I was didn't notice the tears that were leaking out from behind my sunglasses!

5 comments:

Camille said...

So cute!!! Yes, it is sooo hard to let them grow up!!! Chloe is currently at her first day of preschool. It was sad to know that my 2nd little girl is not so little anymore!! And yes, even though my Hannah just started 2nd grade, I still was teary-eyed the first day too!! Why do they grow up so fast?!

Melanie said...

So cute - she looks so big sitting there at her table. How many days a week will she go and for how long? You'll love the time but it will probably make you appreciate Katelyn so much more when she is home. I've never done preschool with my kids probably because I'd be the only mom sobbing every day when they go. Good luck!

Kim Hoover said...

Hey Camille! I remember back when Hailee started pre-school 8 years ago, I was so sad too. Even when Katelin started kindergarten this year, I was still very sad and worried about her...and she's my 3rd in all day school now. It never gets easier for the firsts, but it will get even more fun each year to come.

K. Lou said...

Cute katelyn and cute YOU! don't be ashamed of the tears. A mother has the right to want to keep her chickies close under her wing. But then after five chicks, it's not so hard to shove them out the door and relish the peace and quiet. Emma started pre-school this week, too. She is SOOO ready. and so is mom.

Julianne said...

OK, I'm a few posts behind, but I have comments on a couple of them...first of all, Baby Jake is SOO cute! Ooh, I love his little cheeks! Ryan thinks he looks just like your brother Kevin. He is a dollie.

And 2nd -- Katelyn looks so big! I bet she loved preschool, eh? And, how much fun is it that you celebrated the new Ariel movie?? Love it!